zondag 15 augustus 2010

Anthology - Dark & Stormy Knights


A Questionable Client by Ilona Andrews
Kate Daniels is hired to serve as a bodyguard for Saiman. Apparently Saiman pissed off some members of the Russian Mafia by stealing something from them. They want it back and won’t stop at nothing to get it.

This was definitely the best story in this book. I love the Kate Daniels series and it was great to see how Kate and Saiman meet each other before she gets involved in the whole shape shifter world.

Even Hand by Jim Butcher
Johnnie Marcone protects a young woman and a child, who both has escaped some nasty swamp creature. She was captured when she got caught stealing information for her boss. Johnnie isn’t happy about it when he finds out and of course he will take advantage of the situation.

I never read the Harry Dresden books, but apparently this Johnnie Marcone character is from that series. Even though I didn’t know who Harry Dresden was, I enjoyed this short story. Maybe I need to check out the rest too.

The Beacon by Shannon K. Butcher
A hunter tracks down human beacons, which will lure evil creatures called Terraphages to Earth without knowing. He will assassinate them before these creatures’ breaks through the wall, but this time it’s hard. The beacon is a little girl with a beautiful defensive mother.

I know this author and I like her style, so I was happy to see that there was a story from her in this novel. It was good, enough to sparkle my curiosity to find some more books by this author.

Even a Rabbit will bite by Rachel Caine
The last dragonslayer has been summoned to train her last replacement before she can put her weapons away and retire. But the last dragon alive on Earth has some other plans for her and will make her job much more difficult then it should be.

Rachel Caine is already one of my favorite authors and she didn’t disappoint me with this short story. I would have loved to see this story more detailed, especially about the slayers past and the other dead dragons. But we cannot have everything.

Dark Lady by P.N. Elrod
Jack Flemming is a vampire and an investigator. A young woman came to him; she wants his help to clear her fiancés name and to keep her alive, during that process

The story was nice, but didn’t blow me away. I’ve read some other short stories by this author, but I have to be honest I’m not a fan. For some reason those story don’t appeal to me.

Beknighted by Deidre Knight
An artist / painter has to work together with a gorgeous, but dangerous man to free a knight in a painting, who has been haunting her dreams for the past couple of months.

I love Deidre Knight’s books and I enjoy this short one too, but for some reason I miss something. Maybe this story was too short and needed some more background to make it a terrific story.

Shifting Star by Vicki Pettersson
Skamar has been contacted by Zoe Archer, to look into these missing young girls. They both know that the Tulpa is after Zoe’s granddaughter and is now kidnapping young girls who have some similarity.

I shouldn’t read this part because I knew it was part of the Sign of the Zodiac Series and I haven’t read those yet. But I couldn’t resist myself and now I know that I cannot put it off any longer. I need to read the rest of the series soon.

Rockwood & Mrs. King by Lilith Saintcrow
A dhampir vampire hunter helps a young woman, who recently became a widow. Well at least she thinks she was, but now her dead husband comes back from the grave to hunt her dreams. She is about to find out that the world is full of creatures and her dead husband is one of them.

I’m already a fan of Lilith Saintcrow after I’ve read her Dante Valentine series and this story is no exception. The only downside; it was too short, I would have love to see more of this Rockwood and how he was made.

God’s creatures by Carrie Vaughn
Cormac is a bounty hunter, who kills creature for a living. He’s called in when a werewolf is killing some cattle and they want it dead before it will take human lives.

Another short story that’s part of a series, this time the Kitty Norville. Again I didn’t read the series, but I will check it out soon. This story made me curious to see what’s more out there.

Overall this anthology was good, the stories of Ilona Andrews, Rachel Caine and Shannon K. Butcher made it worth reading, and the rest of the novel was okay. I definitely need to check out some of the series.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY DESIGNS BY BARBARA. SWIRL BRUSH BY OBSIDIAN DAWN.