maandag 20 februari 2012

Lisa Shearin - Magic Lost, Trouble Found

Title : Magi Lost Trouble Found
Series : Raine Benares # 1
Release date : May 27, 2007
Publisher : Ace Publisher
Genre : Fantasy / Urban Fantasy

My name is Raine Benares. I’m a seeker. The people who hire me are usually happy when I find things. But some things are better left unfound…

Raine is a sorceress of moderate powers, from an extended family of smugglers and thieves. With a mix of street smarts and magic spells, she can usually take care of herself. But when her friend Quentin, a not-quite-reformed thief, steals an amulet from the home of a powerful necromancer, Raine finds herself wrapped up in more trouble than she cares for. She likes attention as much as the next girl, but having an army of militant goblins hunting her down is not her idea of a good time. The amulet they’re after holds limitless power, derived from an ancient, soul-stealing stone. And when Raine takes possession of the item, it takes possession of her.

Now her moderate powers are increasing beyond anything she could imagine—but is the resumé enhancement worth her soul?

Magic Lost, Trouble Found by Lisa Shearin is the first novel in her Raine Benares Series, and I have to say this book was very interesting; so interesting that I think I have another addiction on my hands. A friend of mine suggested that I should give this new author a try and see if it was something for me, well I have to say it was definitely a great surprise.

Raine Benares is an elf and a seeker; she can find any object or people by using her powers. The family on her mother’s side are well known as smugglers, but she doesn’t know a lot about her father’s side.

Raine’s friend Quentin steals something that will get him in trouble and he convinces Raine to hold onto the stolen necklace until they can figure out what it does and means. Raine knows she is in trouble when she cannot remove the necklace and every powerful citizen is after her to claim that necklace.

Besides Raine, who I really love; this book is full of other interesting characters. Raine’s cousin Phaelan is fabulous and he put some smiles on my face with his comments and humour. Mychael Eiliesor is the head of the Elven Guard and is after Raine to collect the necklace and hide it from all evil. Piaras is a real sweetheart, his talents are tremendous and I believe he will be a great and powerful guardian someday. And last but definitely not least is Goblin Tam Nathrach, an old friend of Raine but he has a dark side to be wary off.

You already sense the attraction of Mychael and Tam towards Raine and I’m already wondering who she might ends up with. Of course I have my preference, but for now I’m happy to see both men fighting for her attention.

This novel is well written and very addictive, the moment you start reading you’re pulled into the story and won’t be able to stop reading. I really enjoyed this book from the first pages and I know this series is going to be a keeper.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY DESIGNS BY BARBARA. SWIRL BRUSH BY OBSIDIAN DAWN.